OUR HISTORY

History of All Saints'

All Saints' Church can be traced back to the year 1875, then known as the South Ward Mission under the direction of The Reverend J.W.R. Beck of St. John's Anglican Church. Services and Sunday School were held in a small building on Dalhousie Street near Rubidge. This property was owned by a Miss Chamberlain who also owned the land on which the present buildings are located.

It is interesting to note that when the first Christmas service was held in the new building, the present Parish Hall, in 1891, there were 42 communicants and there was great rejoicing when the collection went from 30 cents to one dollar. By 1897 this building was free of debt and the mission became known as All Saints' Parish.

On January 22nd, 1902, the Reverend N.L. Arbitrage was inducted as the first Rector of All Saints as it became an independent parish and no longer a mission.

The cornerstone for the present church building was laid on July 9th, 1909 with the first service on October 23rd, 1910. The stones used came from the Stoney Lake area and are known as Stoney Lake Red Granite. Since that beginning, several renovations have been made to both the Parish Hall and the Church.

In June of 1981 the opening service for the General Synod of the Anglican Church of Canada was held here in All Saints with over 700 present: Archbishops, Bishops, Clergy and Laity.

The music at All Saints has been led by good choirs singing the praises of God for over eighty years in this house of worship.

On November 30th, 1983, tragedy struck All Saints with a devastating fire which caused a million dollars damage. In the thirteen months of reconstruction, the parish worshipped in its original Church - the Parish Hall.

The rebuilding of the Church brought about a number of structural changes: a retro-fit to meet new provincial building and fire codes; a redesign of the Chancel to bring the Altar to the center of worship; design and building of a splendid tracker action organ; and the building of a new office addition with a ramp access for wheelchairs and handicap washroom. The restored All Saints was rededicated on January 27th, 1985 with Archbishop Lewis Garnsworthy preaching and officiating. The next year in January of 1986 the new organ was completed and dedicated.

In 1996 the Church building was completed with the addition of the Church tower. The tower was dedicated by the Bishop of Toronto, the Rt. Reverend T.E. Finally on All Saints Day, November 1st 1996. The choir sang an introit which was commissioned specifically for this celebration and was based on a text from Proverbs 18:10

 

The name of the Lord is a strong tower.
The righteous run into it and are safe.

In the summer of 2003 the Church interior was renewed and in 2004 All Saints received its official Coat of Arms.

COAT OF ARMS

Arms

arms2

ADD RECENT HISTORY (2004 - 2013)

It is our prayer that All-Saints will continue to find purpose and meaning through worship and service.

place matt

The Rectors of All Saints'

The Rev'd. W.L. Armitage ......................... 1902-1904
The Rev'd. W.S. Major .............................. 1904-1908
The Rev'd. H.R. Trumpour ....................... 1908-1912
The Rev'd. R.B. Grobb .............................. 1912-1924
The Rev'd. Canon J.D. Paterson ................ 1924-1940
The Rev'd. W.A. Filer ............................... 1940-1947
The Rev'd. W.E. Kibblewhite .................... 1948-1951
The Rev'd. M.P. Poole .............................. 1951-1964
The Ven. R.K. McKean ............................. 1965-1981
The Rev'd. Canon M.J. Barry ....................1982-1991
The Rev'd. Canon J.M.A. Wright .............. 1992-2006
The Rev'd Bill Gray .................................. 2007- 2012
The Rev'd Geoff Howson ...........................2012-present

 

interior-NE corner

Church's Location:
235 Rubidge St., (corner of Sherbrooke St.)
Peterborough, ON
K9J 3N9
Telephone: 705-876-1501
Fax: 705-742-8962

Click to e-mail the church

Office hours:

Mon. & Wed.: 12-5pm

Tues. & Thurs: 2-5PM

Fri.: 12-4PM

Click for Events Calendar

Service Times

Sunday

08:30 AM Holy Eucharist (said Eucharist)

10:30 AM Choral Eucharist
Note: Choral Mattins at the 10:30 service on the 5th Sunday

Summer-July & August: 1 service @10:00 am

July @ All Saints'

August @ St. John's




View Larger Map